Updated: Mar 20
The Autumnal Equinox (Sept 21) marks the end of Summer and the beginning of Fall...even if the heat tries to stick around a while longer. This changing of the seasons is nature's way of telling us to offer nourishment to our bodies and minds in preparation for Winter. There are so many ways to do this. Here I have 7 ways for you to Rejuvenate for Fall.
1. Get your body moving. Make time for movement every day - whether it's yoga, time at the gym or a walk around the neighborhood. Some days you'll have more energy than others, so let your energy help determine what you'll do. You may find that the more you make time for movement, the more energy you'll have.
2. Get some fresh air. Taking in the cooler autumn air has so many benefits. Most especially, spending time outside can help fight Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) (seasonal depression) and in general, can help improve your mood. Some ideas for spending time outside include going camping, apple picking or for a bike ride. Or, just sit on the porch with a hot beverage.
3. Enjoy a hot beverage. The perfect segue into the next way to rejuvenate for fall...Sitting on the porch, or a comfortable seat in your home and enjoying a hot beverage can offer rejuvenation. The beverage can be anything you enjoy, such as water with lemon, tea, or coffee (maybe occasionally hot cocoa).
4. Start a daily oil massage. (known as Abhyanga in Ayurveda) As the weather cools, the air gets dryer. This is the perfect time to start a daily oil massage routine. Spend 5-20 minutes on a loving massage using a natural oil like sesame, sunflower, almond or coconut. In addition to nourishment for the whole body, this daily massage can help with proper circulation and lymph drainage, softer and stronger skin, and tone and vigor for the body's tissues.
5. Take up a relaxing hobby. Being creative with your hands can help to relax you. Hobbies like knitting, crochet, and needlepoint can become a sort of meditation...focusing the mind. You could even try coloring mandalas (or adult coloring books, which are actually a thing). When you feel the need to spend a quiet evening at home, a relaxing hobby can be a great way to rejuvenate for fall.
6. Adjust your bedroom for better sleep. The Fall season can become a bit harried with school and sports, the preparation for holidays, and trying to find ways to make the most of the season. With all this activity it is important to make sure you're getting enough sleep. This seasonal transition, from Summer to Fall, is the perfect time to make some adjustments to your bedtime routine. Try aromatherapy, like an essential oil diffuser or lavender linen spray to soothe your sense of smell and help set a calming atmosphere for sleep. Try white noise, from a machine or app to help block any small sounds and help you sleep better. You'll also want to keep your room cool - this seems counter to what you want when the weather gets colder, but you will sleep better at a slightly cooler temperature. You should also take a look at your bed (make sure it's comfortable) and any clutter that may have gathered around your room. A clean, comfortable bedroom will also help to create the right ambiance for sleep. Then, try eliminating electronics about an hour before bedtime.
7. Make time to restore. And finally, my last way for you to find rejuvenation this fall is to make time to restore. Find time each day to allow yourself to decompress with silence and stillness. You can incorporate one or two yoga poses at this time like Legs up the Wall and Savasana, and use any props (pillows, blankets, etc) to make yourself super-comfortable. Set a timer for 15-20 min (or longer if you can) and find your bliss.
Take nature's cue and add some or all of these 7 Ways to Rejuvenate into your routine. Your body and mind need this nourishment to get through the Fall season and to prepare for Winter.
Have you already done some of these? Comment below what you like to do to Rejuvenate for Fall.